By Dez Duran-Lamanilao
Deciding to use eco-friendly roofing options for a greener home is your first step to contributing to the conservation of the natural world. Whether you are installing for a new house or repairing/replacing your old roof, it doesn’t hurt to include the environment in your considerations.
Eco-friendly Roof Benefits
While you may have to spend a bit more, undergo extra maintenance after installation, or comply with a greater degree of structural support, the benefits are too tempting to resist. If you have extra money to spend, here are some of the benefits of an eco-friendly roofing system:
- Aesthetic benefits
- Reduced energy costs resulting from the natural insulation and reduced HVAC loads
- A decrease in the urban heat island (UHI) The UHI results from higher urban temperatures experienced in city districts than the nearby suburban or rural areas. Adding green roofs can help reduce UHI.
- Improved air quality thus leading to a healthier ecosystem
- Increased roof lifespan
Eco-friendly Roofing Materials
When installing eco-friendly roofing, consider the recycled material content, its life expectancy, and whether it can be reused after a certain period. From a wide array of available options, your final choice will mostly depend on your home’s design, budget, and local building codes.
- Recycled shingles may prove to be one of your greenest choices. Shingles account for around 5 percent of waste related to buildings. By using these shingles, you and your roofer is creating a healthier planet and ecosystem.
- Metal roofing is more costly than asphalt roofing. However, it is durable, recyclable and requires little to no maintenance.
- Green roofs, while more expensive than the traditional ones, are extremely durable and can cause a significant decrease in your summer expenses.
- Corrugated roofing is worth considering especially if your property is in a harsh-climate area, as this roofing can withstand severe natural elements.
For roof repair, replacement and inspection services, Dads Roofing has a combined 25 years of experience and insurance to make that eco-friendly roofing system happen.